Hemp cultivation in MP
After 6 years of continuous development of a hemp variety containing less than 0.3% Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) , some of the hemp farmers finally achieved the first yield. The hemp growers who successfully cultivated the inaugural industrial hemp crop were felicitated by the district administration and agriculture department in Bageshwar. MP Ajay Tamta graced the occasion with his presence during the felicitation ceremony. Among the farmers, Ajay Chaubey, who holds three licenses, was chosen to carry out the trial-based project on his 0.5-acre farmland located in Mankot village.
Meanwhile, Ajay Tamta said, “Cannabis is one of humanity’s oldest wonder crops and it has the potential to open doors of growth for Uttarakhand. We are hopeful that with its cultivation, we will restore our trajectory of growth in the agri sector.”
(Read more about hemp and its industrial uses here)
What other states are considering cultivation of hemp In India?
- Himachal Pradesh: Himachal Pradesh has been actively promoting hemp cultivation. The state government has initiated various programs and policies to encourage farmers to grow hemp. The state government is also working to create an enabling environment for hemp-based industries. This includes facilitating the establishment of processing units, research and development centers, and marketing infrastructure for hemp products.
- Jammu and Kashmir: With its suitable agro-climatic conditions, Jammu and Kashmir have also started exploring hemp cultivation. The state government has been working closely with farmers to create awareness about the benefits and possibilities of hemp farming. They have also facilitated the availability of quality hemp seeds and provided guidance on cultivation techniques to ensure the success of hemp crops.
- Madhya Pradesh: The government of Madhya Pradesh has implemented various initiatives to support and incentivize farmers interested in growing hemp. This includes providing financial assistance, technical guidance, and training programs on hemp cultivation techniques. These efforts aim to equip farmers with the necessary knowledge and resources to successfully cultivate hemp crops.
- Rajasthan: Efforts have also been made to create an enabling environment for hemp-based industries in Rajasthan. The government has facilitated the establishment of processing units, research and development centers, and market linkages for hemp products. This infrastructure development aims to create a robust market for hemp farmers and enhance the economic potential of hemp cultivation in the state.
- Manipur: The government of Manipur has initiated programs and initiatives to encourage farmers to adopt hemp cultivation. They provide support in the form of training programs, technical assistance, and financial incentives to farmers interested in growing hemp. These efforts aim to equip farmers with the necessary knowledge and resources to successfully cultivate hemp crops.