Showing 1–12 of 79 results
What are Seizures?
Seizures are a sudden, uncontrollable electrical disturbance in the brain which causes changes in behaviour, consciousness and movement. It can last from seconds to minutes. A seizure with an unexplainable cause that repeats within 24 hours indicates epilepsy. Seizures can occur due to various reasons, injury, infections, fever, stroke, withdrawal from drugs or brain tumours.
Symptoms and signs of Seizures
- muscle spasms
- loss of consciousness
- changes in vision or hearing
- A staring spell.
How does Cannabis medicine help with Seizures?
It has been found that some compounds found in Cannabis like CBD, may be useful in reducing the severity and frequency of seizures. The efficacy of cannabis medicine varies from individual to individual, depending upon the type of seizure disorder and the underlying cause.
At the core of it, cannabis medicine works for seizures through its interaction with the master system, the endocannabinoid system in the body. This system is involved in regulating various physiological processes, including those related to the brain and nervous system. CBD, in particular, has been shown to have anticonvulsant effects in animal studies and some clinical trials.
CBD affects the frequency of seizures by regulating ECS and modulating the activity of certain neurotransmitters, such as GABA and glutamate, which play a role in seizure activity. CBD may also reduce inflammation in the brain, which directly impacts the occurrence of seizures.
Several studies investigated upon the use of CBD for epilepsy and have reported positive results. In fact, in 2018, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a purified form of CBD, called Epidiolex, for the treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
Potential Benefits of Cannabis Medicine for Dementia
CBD has anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsant, and anti-epileptic properties. For Seizures, it may be helpful in providing the following benefits:
- Reduced Stress Levels: Cannabis medicine has anti-anxiolytic properties and works as a relaxant to reduce stress. Regular use of it can reduce anxiety, agitation, and restlessness in patients with Seizures.
- Better Cognitive Functioning: CBD and other cannabis compounds work together to improve the efficiency of the basic cognitive processes of the body such as attention, executive functioning, and working and episodic memory.
- Reduced Seizures: Cannabis medicine has anti-epileptic properties that can reduce the frequency and intensity of seizures and tremors. It also helps in controlling jitters and shivering.
- Pain Relief: The pain-relieving properties of CBD(a compound in the Cannabis plant) are well-known. CBD is anti-inflammatory in nature and works to reduce inflammation throughout the body, significantly decreasing pain.
- Reduced Tremors: A small study from 1986 suggests that CBD can help ease muscle movements in a patient with Parkinson’s.
- Better Mental Health: Cannabis medicine’s anxiolytic properties reduce the levels of stress and anxiety in the body. CBD also helps with depression by altering the way the body reacts to the existing serotonin levels.
- Improved Motor Coordination: It also encourages the efficiency of the body’s basic cognitive processes such as attention, motor coordination, and memory.
- Better Sleep: Cannabis medicine is well-known for its benefits for sleep disorders such as insomnia and RBD. Regular use of it can help regulate the sleep cycle in patients with Seizures.
How do I use CBD Oil to treat Seizures?
If you have a seizure disorder, consult a neurologist for treatment with CBD oil. While CBD is generally safe to use, there is always a risk of potential drug interactions. Moreover, some people actually experience an increase in seizures after using CBD. Therefore, just like with any antiepileptic drug, you should have a professional monitoring your use of CBD.