Showing 1–12 of 44 results
What is Constipation?
Constipation is a common digestive problem characterized by infrequent bowel movements or difficulty passing stool. The stool may be hard, dry, or lumpy, and passing it may require straining. The frequency of bowel movements can vary from person to person, but generally, a person is considered to be constipated if they have fewer than three bowel movements per week.
Signs and symptoms of Constipation
abdominal pain or discomfort
and a feeling of incomplete evacuation after passing stool
Causes of Constipation
- low-fibre diet, dehydration
- lack of physical activity
- certain medications
- and medical conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, hypothyroidism, or neurological disorders.
How does cannabis medicine work for Constipation?
The cannabinoids in cannabis, particularly THC, interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which plays a role in regulating the digestive system. THC may help to stimulate the digestive tract, leading to increased contractions and a reduction in the time it takes for food to move through the intestines. This can help to alleviate constipation.
In addition to THC, CBD, another cannabinoid found in cannabis, may also have potential therapeutic effects for constipation. CBD may help to reduce inflammation in the digestive tract and promote healthy bowel movements.
Potential benefits of cannabis medicine for Constipation
- Pain Relief: The pain-relieving properties of CBD(a compound in the Cannabis plant) are well-known. CBD is anti-inflammatory in nature and works to reduce inflammation throughout the body, significantly decreasing pain.
- Reducing Inflammation: CBD acts as an antioxidant and decreases oxidative stress and systematic inflammation in the body. Inflammation is the root cause of most pain. By decreasing inflammation in the body, CBD reduces the intensity of pain. CBD can also reduce neuropathic pain by countering hyperalgesia (an abnormally heightened pain response in the body).
- Regulating Immune Response: Whenever our body experiences an injury, the body’s innate immune response to it with an inflammatory response that activates the pain pathways. CBD can modulate this immune response by decreasing the levels of the pro-inflammatory cytokines thus decreasing discomfort.
- Regularizing bowel movements: THC, interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which plays a role in regulating the digestive system. THC may help to stimulate the digestive tract, leading to increased contractions and a reduction in the time it takes for food to move through the intestines. This can help to alleviate constipation.