Showing 1–12 of 184 results
What is Menstrual pain?
Menstrual pain is a pain that is experienced in relation to menstruation in women. This pain can be primary or secondary depending upon the cause. In the former, the pain occurs due to the cycle’s onset but in the latter, the pain is caused by some underlying problems. These issues can be endometriosis or fibroids in the uterus.
Symptoms and signs of Menstrual pain
- Sharp pain
- A feeling of pressure in the lower abdomen or pelvis
How does Cannabis medicine help with Menstrual pain?
Cannabis medicine directly works by regulating the Endocannabinoid system in the body. ECS regulates a range of processes in the body, mainly mood, appetite, sleep, pain sensation, and immune function. ECS comprises three main parts, endocannabinoids( naturally occurring in the body), enzymes ( used to break down endocannabinoids) and receptors( attachment sites). When our endocannabinoids default in function or are unregulated, discomfort in the form of diseases, pain, and inflammation occurs. Cannabis medicine works by bringing this system back into regulation.
It has been found that some compounds found in Cannabis like CBD, may be useful in reducing inflammation and pain. Terpenes and flavonoids work as analgesics and anti-inflammatories. One particular cannabinoid, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), has been studied for its pain-relieving effects. THC works by binding to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and nervous system, which can reduce pain perception.
Potential Benefits of Cannabis Medicine for Menstrual pain
CBD has anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsant, and anti-epileptic properties. For Seizures, it may be helpful in providing the following benefits:
- Reduced Stress Levels: Cannabis medicine has anti-anxiolytic properties and works as a relaxant to reduce stress. Regular use of it can reduce anxiety, agitation, and restlessness in patients with Seizures.
- Pain Relief: The pain-relieving properties of CBD(a compound in the Cannabis plant) are well-known. CBD is anti-inflammatory in nature and works to reduce inflammation throughout the body, significantly decreasing pain.
- Better Mental Health: Cannabis medicine’s anxiolytic properties reduce the levels of stress and anxiety in the body. CBD also helps with depression by altering the way the body reacts to the existing serotonin levels.
- Reducing Pain Signals: Cannabis medicine stimulates the reuptake of adenosine, boosting its levels in the brain and inhibiting pain sensations. It can also block pain signals from reaching the processing centres in the brain by binding to TPRV1—the receptor responsible for pain and inflammation.
- Reducing Inflammation: CBD acts as an antioxidant and decreases oxidative stress and systematic inflammation in the body. Inflammation is the root cause of most pain. By decreasing inflammation in the body, CBD reduces the intensity of pain. CBD can also reduce neuropathic pain by countering hyperalgesia (an abnormally heightened pain response in the body).
- Increasing Immune Response: Whenever our body experiences an injury, the body’s innate immune response to it with an inflammatory response that activates the pain pathways. CBD can modulate this immune response by decreasing the levels of the pro-inflammatory cytokines thus decreasing pain.
- Improving Mood & Sleep: Severe and chronic pain can cause psychological distress leading to depression, anxiety, irritability, and lack of peaceful sleep. CBD’s anxiolytic properties can reduce the overall stress in the body, leading to restful sleep.