Hemp oil is slowly finding its way into our everyday lives. Rising to fame for its exceptional nutritious and nourishing benefits, it is a product that everyone wants to use now. In this article, we look at 5 simple ways in which we can add hemp oil to our lives.
5 Ways to Use Hemp Oil in Food
What is Hemp Oil?
Hemp oil (or hemp seed oil) comes from cold pressing hemp seeds. It is often unrefined and is a clear green oil with a nutty flavour. The colour can range from light to dark green where the darker the colour, the nuttier the taste.
Unrefined hemp seed oil perfectly preserves hemp’s nutritious content. But it has a limited shelf life and should be stored in the refrigerator once opened. It has more of a use in paints, lubricants, inks, fuels, plastic, and maybe as a cooking supplement.
Refined oil is clear, colourless, and doesn’t have much flavour. Since it is processed, it lacks the natural vitamins and antioxidants that hemp is known for but has a much longer shelf life. Refined hemp oil is typically used as ingredients for body care products like soaps, shampoos, and detergents.
Why use Hemp Oil?
Hemp oil is a great addition to one’s diet because it is highly nutritious. It is rich in omega-3 and 6 fatty acids and other nutrients. One tablespoon can offer you 125 calories, and 14 grams of fat. But not just in your diet, it has plenty of other benefits too.
Studies show that the presence of omega-3 fatty acids in hemp oil helps in reducing inflammation.
Good for skin
In a study from 2005, it was observed that adding hemp oil to the diets of people suffering from eczema improved the dryness of skin and at the same time significantly reduced the itching.
The alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) present in the oil is effective in preventing cardiovascular disease. It not only prevents you from getting the disease but also helps with the symptoms in case of an early diagnosis. It also contains sitosterol, which helps reduce cholesterol in our bodies.
Provides pain relief
Hemp oil is also a natural pain reliever. A 2018 study showed that the compounds present in hemp show promise for the treatment of many types of pain. However, not much research has been conducted in that field. Even though hemp is advisable for pain relief, more human studies could give these results a little more credibility.
Helps with Anxiety
Since it contains omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, it can help reduce panic attacks in people with anxiety. It may also help in reducing migraines and headaches.
How to use Hemp Oil?
Hemp oil is one solution to many problems. Adding to its list of goodness is the fact that it is super easy and convenient to use. You can take it in many forms, including liquid and pills, and you can also cook with it to incorporate its benefits in a more generic sense.
Here is a list of 5 ways to get the best of hemp oil’s benefits.
Sauté them Veggies
Hemp oil has a low burning point. So, we do not recommend it for deep frying. But we can very safely s sauté vegetables and meat in it.
Hemp Seed Oil Roast Potatoes
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
4 large potatoes
2 teaspoons dried Rosemary
2 tablespoons hemp seed oil
Salt and Pepper
- Peel potatoes and preheat oven to 200° C.
- Cut potatoes in halves/quarters (depending on the size)
- Boil peeled potatoes for about 10 mins
- Drain them in a saucepan
- In the same pan, add pepper, salt, rosemary, and oil and shake the saucepan to coat potatoes.
- Tip pre-cooked, seasoned potatoes into a baking tray and cook for about 40 mins, shaking occasionally to ensure even cooking.
Sea Bass with Hemp Basil Oil
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 lemon squeezed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup hemp oil
Virgin coconut oil, for sautéing
4-ounce of sea bass fillets, or any white fish each 1 1/2 inches thick
- In a food processor, combine bread crumbs, hemp seeds, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Process until hemp nuts are well-chopped and incorporated.
- Set mixture aside in a breading bowl or large plate.
- In the same food processor, combine basil, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, hemp oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Process until basil and garlic are well-chopped and everything is well-mixed. (Makes 1/4 cup.)
- Preheat a nonstick sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add about 3 tablespoons coconut oil or enough to coat the pan bottom.
- Press fish firmly into the breading mixture, coating both sides.
- Sauté for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Serve drizzled with hemp basil oil mixture.
Hemp oil makes the healthiest salad dressing ever! And they are super easy to make as well.
Hemp and Parsely Dressing
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
⅔ cup (or 50ml) hemp oil
⅓ cup (or 75ml) raw apple cider vinegar
A handful of fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 full teaspoon jarred mustard
Half an apple
1 clove of garlic
- Remove the skin of garlic and crush it.
- Chop the apple into chunks.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend everything.
- Store in a glass bottle or jar.
- This serves beautifully on salads and keeps in the fridge for at least a week.
Hemp Prawn Salad with Lime & Chilli Dressing
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
350g sustainably sourced prawns, raw
120g mixed leaves (e.g. chicory, rocket, little gem)
A small handful of basil leaves
6 tomatoes, quartered
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
1 lime, quartered to garnish
A sprinkling of Good Hemp Seed Hearts
3 tbsp Good Hemp Oil
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp clear honey
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Butterfly the prawns by cutting a line lengthways from underneath the head of the prawn to the tip of the tail using a sharp knife.
- Open up the prawn fully and remove the black intestinal tract from the prawn by scraping it out with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Heat 1 tbsp Hemp oil in a pan and fry the prawns butterflied side down, for 3-4 minutes or until they turn pink
- Meanwhile, mix the rest of the Oil with lime juice, honey, and chilli to form a dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad leaves and toss.
- Add the cooked prawns to your salad.
- Garnish with lime wedges and a sprinkling of Good Hemp Seed Hearts, finishing this healthy prawn salad. Simple yet delicious.
Drink it up like a Syrup
You can also ingest take it orally. It would provide the same skin benefits and additional overall health benefits. In oral consumption, there is a lesser risk of any skin irritation or breakouts, though there may be some temporary digestive upset. Make sure to consult your doctors before taking hemp oil orally.
If taken orally, take 1 to 2 tablespoons daily either all at once or you can break it in small doses. You can take it both morning and night but there should be 3 hours gap between the two doses.
Moisturize that Skin
One of the easiest ways to use hemp oil is in your skincare routine It can offer an ocean of benefits to your skin. The oil has a comedogenic rating of zero, meaning it can not clog your pores.
Hemp oil also has antioxidating qualities. It’s high in antioxidants like gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), and vitamins A, C, and E. Antioxidant skincare products may help give your skin some protection against premature ageing.
It also contains components that have anti-inflammatory properties, and it may help relieve skin inflammation.
Studies suggest that it also has antibacterial qualities.
You can apply it just like any other moisturizer. After cleansing your face, damp it and take a small amount (½-1 teaspoon) of hemp oil, massaging it gently onto the face.
Massage that Scalp
Hemp oil has special benefits for your hair. It moisturizes the scalp, prevents breakage, stimulates hair growth, and reduces scalp problems. Hemp oil contains a good amount of Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids which are considered very good for hair.
The lipids present in the oil increase hair’s elasticity, volume, and shine while softening the strands from the vitamin E and fatty acids.
The easiest way to use the oil is simply by applying some drops into the scalp and hair, massaging it, like a mask. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, then wash your hair in a normal routine. You can also apply it before going to bed and leave it on overnight.
DIY Hemp oil Hair Mask
Here’s a simple recipe for your own DIY hair mask.
2-4 drops of hemp oil
Half a banana
1 tablespoon honey
Half a peeled avocado
1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
A few drops of your favourite essential oil
Put them in a blender and mix them together until they form a paste. Smooth it on your hair and let it dry for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water (don’t use shampoo).
Whether you take it orally or topically or use it for cooking, hemp oil offers so many benefits for your skin and health. Having said that, you should also run it by your doctor, before starting to use it, to check it for any kind of allergic reactions. However, research has proven hemp oil to not only be beneficial but also extremely safe with almost no side effects.
Buy Hemp Oil in India
ANANTA HEMP SATIVA OIL 100ML (COLD PRESSED)₹499.00
Hempbuti Complete Hemp Foods Pack₹2,847.00
Hempbuti Virgin Hemp Seed Oil, 250ml₹1,099.00
Cannamagic Himalayan Hemp Seed Oil, 250ml₹900.00
IndusHemp Natural Hemp Seed Oil, 1ltr₹3,499.00
IndusHemp Natural Hemp Seed Oil, 500ml₹1,999.00
IndusHemp Natural Hemp Seed Oil, 250ml₹1,099.00
IndusHemp Natural Hemp Seed Oil, 100ml₹599.00
Wildleaf Hemp Magic Potion (50 ml)₹329.00
BOHECO HIMALAYAN HEMP SEED OIL, (Pack of 2- 250ml)₹1,699.00
BOHECO HIMALAYAN HEMP SEED OIL, 250 ml₹949.00
BOHECO HIMALAYAN HEMP SEED OIL, 100 ml₹549.00