Before I share with you the wonders of hemp oil for skin, let me address the not-so-unspoken question, “Will hemp oil get me high?” No, it will not. Hemp oil (or hemp seed oil) comes from the seeds of the hemp plant which do not contain THC (the high-causing compound).
Hemp seeds are where the nutrition of hemp, the wonder resource, lies. Hemp seed oil retains this nutritional profile and gives us a more versatile way to make use of it.
Unsaturated, rich in essential fatty acids, containing the highest variety of amino acids, and the only plant source of vitamin D—hemp oil is a skin superhero. It can singlehandedly provide the most optimal nutrition you need for healthy skin and hair.
How to use Hemp Oil for Skin Care?
Hemp oil is a powerhouse of essential fatty acids (EFAs), which are essential for a healthy skincare regime. The more we learn about good and bad fats, the more we understand that it is these EFAs that make good fats good. The most important EFAs are omega-3 and omega-6 and hemp oil contains these in the optimal ratio of 1:3.
In addition, it contains anti-inflammatory GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) and omega-9. Together, these EFAs work to provide stronger hair and more elastic skin.
The hemp seed oil also contains additional nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, vitamin A, vitamin B1(thiamine), B3(niacin), B5, B9(folate), and vitamin D as well as anti-oxidant vitamin E. Plus, it has all the 12 amino acids we need for protein building.
Add to this list chlorophyll, magnesium, sulphur, phosphorus, phytosterols, phospholipids, and a tad bit of zinc and iron.
Hemp oil is non-comedogenic. That is, it does not clog the pores of the skin. The lipids in hemp seed oil are similar in structure to the lipids that our skin naturally produces. Because of this, hemp oil is great for body care as it works in sync with our bodies to soothe and cleanse the skin.
Another key requirement for a strong skin barrier to keep water and irritants out is linolenic acid. Healthy skin produces this EFA naturally. If for some reason, the skin cannot produce linolenic acid, it alternatively produces oleic acid. Oleic acid is thick and sticky and blocks the pores of our skin.
The hemp seed oil contains good amounts of linolenic acid and thus helps in keeping the production of oleic acid in check.
Furthermore, hemp oil is a natural humectant. That is to say, it naturally draws moisture into the skin. In contrast to sitting on top of the skin (like most other skin oils), hemp seed oil penetrates the skin, moisturising the cells and strengthening the cell matrix. It can also reach the hair roots, strengthening the scalp and reducing dandruff.
And if that is not enough, hemp seed oil even out the skin tone and reduces blotchiness. It also soothes irritated and inflamed skin and reduces oxidative stress in the body.
9 Ways to Use Hemp Oil for Skin Care
When you closely consider all the problems hemp oil can singlehandedly manage—acne treatments, makeup, makeup removers, moisturizers, etc.—hemp oil is an inexpensive, high-yielding investment.
Here are 9 ways in which you can use hemp oil for skin care and hair care routines.
- Moisturize dry skin: Rub the oil directly onto dry, cracked skin. To achieve a deep conditioning treatment, massage the oil on your hands and feet and wear socks and gloves overnight.
- Remove makeup: hemp oil dissolves the oils and waxes in makeup. Gently rub a small amount of hemp oil into the makeup and wipe with a cotton ball.
- Strengthen nails and cuticles: hemp seed oil will provide nourishment and strength to fingers and toenails. Massage a small amount of hemp oil directly into nails and cuticles.
- Condition hair: hemp oil can replace your chemical-based conditioner. Before shampooing, massage a tablespoon of hemp oil into your scalp. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then shampoo as normal. You might not need to use a conditioner at all.
- Mask overnight: Massage the oil into cleansed facial skin before sleeping for deep overnight conditioning.
- Reduce Acne: it sounds crazy but this oil can actually reduce acne. Hemp oil draws out the sebum plugs that cause blackheads, whiteheads, and cysts. Massage a small amount of the oil into problem areas and work it in gently for up to 2 minutes.
- Steam Facial Skin: Massage a tablespoon of hemp seed oil into dry, clean facial skin for 5-7 minutes. Lay a hot, damp washcloth over your face and let it sit until it cools. Wipe your face with the washcloth. Repeat the process with another hot washcloth until all the oil is wiped off. It’s optional to wash your face afterward.
- Relieve Psoriasis: vigorously massage hemp seed oil over the affected area and let it sit overnight. For a more intense treatment, cover the affected area with a cloth after the massage to lock in the hemp oil. Use for 4-6 weeks to see visible effects.
- Heal the skin from within: make hemp seed oil an important and lasting part of your diet to sustainably nourish the skin and hair. You can eat it straight or use it as a salad dressing. It can also replace butter on toast, rice, veggies, etc. Do remember that hemp oil is not suitable for high-heat cooking. It has a low smoke point and will break down even at moderate heat, which will compromise its nutritional benefits.
Pro tip: Pure hemp seed oil will go rancid easily. It is best stored in the refrigerator.
Buy Hemp Oil for Skin Care in India
Hemp Seed OilProduct on sale₹180.00 – ₹3,996.00
Wildleaf Hemp Seed Oil (200 ml)₹699.00
Noigra Hemp Seed Oil (100 ml)₹399.00
Health Horizons Ayurvedic Hemp Sativa Oil 250ml₹799.00
Februus Organics Hemp Oil- 100 ml₹450.00
Cure By Design Therapeutic Body Oil Roll – On for Sleep Assisting (10ml)₹250.00
Cure By Design Therapeutic Body Oil Roll – On for Anxiety (10ml)₹250.00
Rootsativaa Hemp Seed Oil (50 ml)₹350.00
Health Horizons Hemp Cold Pressed Skin & Hair Oil 100ml₹399.00
India Hemp & Co. Hemp Seed Oil (150 ml)₹580.00
Cure By Design Therapeutic Body Oil Roll – On for Relaxation (10ml)₹250.00
Wildleaf Hemp Magic Potion (200 ml)₹699.00
Healing Leaf Hemp oil (Internal), 190ml₹700.00
India Hemp Organics Hemp Seed Oil (500ml)₹1,299.00
Cure By Design Therapeutic Body Oil Roll – On for Motivation (10ml)₹250.00
Noigra Hemp Seed Oil (1 ltr)Product on sale
Satliva Hemp with Argan Hair Oil 100ml₹1,450.00
Cure By Design Therapeutic Body Oil Roll – On for Romance (10ml)₹250.00
Cure By Design Hemp Seed Oil (200ml)₹700.00
Ayurvedic Essentials Hemp Oil (500ml)₹1,349.00
India Hemp Organics Mega Value Pack₹4,547.00
Satliva Hemp with Avocado Hair Oil 100ml₹1,450.00
Satliva Hemp with Moringa Body and Face Oil 100ml₹1,450.00
Cannasis Wellness Hemp Oil, 200mLProduct on sale
2 thoughts on “9 Ways to Use Hemp Oil for Skin Care”
Thank you for sharing this amazing blog. It is easy to learn and understand. It’s a truly useful blog.
Great info sharing! These tips will really help to understand how hemp oil is good for our skin and hair.