Which is better? Hemp vs whey Protein. We all are dwelling on the same question for a long time. Let us help you to find your answer. Hemp Protein Powder is gaining popularity for being a complete source of protein. With the advent of plant-based diets and lifestyles, more people are exploring hemp’s potential as a source of complete protein. But is it a complete protein or can you choose Hemp protein over Whey protein?
In this article, we understand how hemp protein compares to whey protein, learn what would a switch from the latter to the former mean, and find out where to buy hemp protein in India.
What is Protein?
Proteins, made up of amino acids, are the “building blocks” of our body. They are an essential component of cells in the human body and play a crucial role in:
- Building new and repairing old tissues;
- Producing hormones and enzymes;
- Building muscles and regenerating bones, skin, cartilage, and blood.
Our body requires protein is moderately larger quantities as compared to other nutrients like minerals and vitamins. Protein from our diet (milk, fish, eggs, meat, etc.) might not meet our daily requirements, especially if we partake in high-intensity exercises, bodybuilding training, or if we want to increase body weight.
Hence, protein supplements have high demand, particularly among bodybuilders, fitness enthusiasts, and professional athletes. E.g., in 2018, the Whey protein market was worth over 10 billion U.S. dollars.
Hemp Protein Powder–The Future of Protein
Now coming back to the question of finding out mind-blowing reasons to choose Hemp protein over Whey Protein. Let us understand what Hemp Protein Powder is. Hemp seeds are considered a superfood owing to their nutrient-rich profile. We get hemp protein by cold-pressing hemp seeds (to extract most of the oil) and then milling them into a fine powder. It is the best source of plant-based protein.
Hemp protein offers numerous benefits without any psychotropic side effects:
- Hemp contains plenty of minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc.
- Hemp protein is a “complete protein” as it contains all the essential amino acids required by our body. The amino acid profile of hemp protein is at par with high-quality protein sources such as egg whites and soy.
Check out the Amino acid content of various dietary protein sources here.
- Hemp protein has fiber content, unlike any other refined plant-based protein powder. This reflects many health benefits such as better blood sugar management and healthier gut bacteria.
- It comprises easily digestible proteins like Edistin and Albumin. Studies have shown that 91-98% of hemp protein is digestible, whereas the digestible protein content of eggs and soybean is 90% and 87% respectively.
- It contains substantial amounts of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids in the correct ratio of 1:3.
- Most of the fat content of hemp protein is polyunsaturated fats, which are good for heart health.
- Hemp seeds contain lignanamides- compounds with strong antioxidant properties. These protect our bodies from oxidative damage related to chronic diseases like diabetes.
- It doesn’t cause any digestion issues as often seen in the case of dairy products.
Hemp Protein over Whey Protein: How do they compare?
Hemp vs. Whey Protein: Plant-based vs. Dairy-based
Whey protein is an animal-based protein created as a by-product of cheese production. During the cheese manufacturing process, milk is heated to kill unwanted bacteria. The high temperature splits the milk into cheese and liquid whey. From there, whey is made into high protein and low-calorie powder.
On the other hand, Hemp protein is a plant-based protein that is safe for vegans and lactose-intolerant people since it lacks any dairy base.
It is free from all the top allergens that cause the vast majority of food allergies, which means Hemp protein is free from soy, eggs, milk, fish, wheat, and tree nuts.
Hemp vs. Whey Protein: Additives vs. No additives
Hemp protein is 100% natural. There are no additives involved in the process of creating its protein powder. On the contrary, in order to obtain whey powder, additives like Hexane are used to separate the powder from lactose.
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has classified Hexane is a neurotoxin. Potential risk through prolonged use or repeated exposure includes organ damage and fertility issues.
Additionally, some reports suggest that whey protein isolates contain trace amounts of toxic heavy metals (lead, cadmium, arsenic). Its long-term use is suspected to increase the risk of muscle and joint pain, headaches, and fatigue.
Hemp protein over Whey Protein: Different Nutritional Value
Whey protein gives more protein per serving but it doesn’t contain any antioxidants, minerals, fatty acids, and phytonutrients like Hemp. Depending on the brand, one 30 gram serving of Hemp protein and Whey protein generally provides the following nutrients in varying amounts:
Hemp protein over Whey Protein: Environmental Effects
Hemp plant farming, as opposed to dairy farming, is sustainable, renewable, and advantageous to the environment. It requires a minimal amount of water and no fertilizers or pesticides to grow.
Can Hemp Protein Replace Whey Protein?
Hemp powder is 100% natural complete protein, loaded with minerals, healthy fats, fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients that cannot be obtained from milk and dairy. It is a good choice for vegans and people who are lactose intolerant. When compared to animal-based protein, you will definitely get more benefits with hemp protein.
Where to buy Hemp Protein in India?
ItsHemp is an online platform that brings to you the best quality hemp protein powder from brands across India. We also have a subscription model where you can sign up to get your frequent dose of hemp nutrition delivered automatically to your doorstep.
- Health Horizons Cold Milled Raw Hemp Seeds Powder (Protein) 500gm₹999.00
- Health Horizons Ayurvedic Sativa Hemp Protein Powder 150gm₹299.00
- Health Horizons Ayurvedic Sativa Hemp Protein Powder – Chocolate Flavour (150gms)₹299.00
- Health Horizons Ayurvedic Sativa Hemp Protein Powder – Chocolate Flavour (500gms)₹999.00
- Product on saleNoigra Hemp Protein Powder, 1.5 kg
- Rootsativaa Hemp Whole Seeds Raw (250 gm)₹300.00
- India Hemp Organics Hemp Protein Powder (100g)₹299.00
- Product on saleLily Ayurved Hemp Protein Powder, 150g
- Product on saleHemp Bird Hemp Hearts(150g) + Proteins Powder(150g) Combo
- India Hemp Organics Mega Value Pack₹4,547.00
- IndusHemp Hemp Protein Powder, 500gms₹999.00
- IndusHemp Hemp Flour, 1kg₹1,199.00
- Product on saleVeda Botanicals Himalayan Hemp Powder, 500g
- India Hemp Organics Hemp Protein Powder (1Kg)₹1,999.00
- India Hemp and Co. Hemp Protein (500 g)₹1,199.00
- IndusHemp Hemp Protein Powder, 1kg₹1,999.00